Planimate – Where system planning meets animation
Planimate is an application development environment, designed and developed by InterDynamics. It enables the creation of highly interactive and animated tools for a wide range of dynamic systems, including:
- Transportation and logistics networks
- Service scheduling and rostering
- Decision support
- Maintenance planning
- Testing and proof of concept
Originally designed as a tool to model the effect of random variation in manufacturing, Planimate has evolved into a comprehensive, general-purpose simulation tool. It can help develop:
- animated discrete event simulation models of a wide range of system types
- standalone software applications based on these discrete event simulation models
- sophisticated planning and scheduling systems
- real-time emulations of existing or proposed system environments
The Planimate platform has been successfully used in many large logistics, transportation, manufacturing, mining and service organisations. The rail transportation industry in particular has profited from Planimate’s ability to simulate various levels of operations, from high level studies such as total system capacity and detailed modelling of train movement on a state-wide track network model, down to individual train control over track sections in a rail yard.
A powerful platform
Planimate is distinguished by its low operating costs, mainstream hardware requirements, openness and interoperability. It is a powerful platform, made yet more effective by the operating skills and experience of the InterDynamics team. It is this combination of technical expertise and industry know-how that ensures our capability offering stands alone.
For clients, the benefits of using Planimate to construct animated discrete event simulations, include:
- A more realistic way to assess business plans for financial feasibility and operational effectiveness
- More effective handling of time and variability on processes, as opposed to spreadsheets
- Greater accessibility for non-technical people, allowing them to confirm the validity of results
- An ability to handle sophisticated logistics networks on zoomable maps
With so many benefits, it is little surprise that Planimate is now favoured as a teaching tool in a number of universities. As well as allowing students to grasp the principles of simulation modelling quickly and easily – it also encourages students to adopt a systems understanding of business.